Thursday, May 30, 2013

New Times magazine / selected pages

New Times was a bi-weekly news oriented magazine started by George Hirsch.  The first issue was in October 1972.  Hirsch's idea was not to compete with the established news weeklies like Time, Newsweek, US News & World Report or against Atlantic, Foreign Report and other serious monthlies.  
     A bi-weekly might just catch on but like most other consumer magazines it depended on adverting to cover costs and New Times never did convince Madison Avenue that it had the right readers.  The last issue was January 8, 1979 and the cover was flashed as the Farewell issue with the theme of Decadence running through most of the pages.  Steve Phillips was the Design Director for the magazine and I thought he did some really creative pages as you can see from the examples below.

Contents pages are always a good indicator of how well designed a magazine is.

Some of the early issues had some bautifully designed department spreads.




























7 comments:

  1. Do you know where I could find a copy of the July 10, 1978 issue? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Black Panther issue, by an amazing coincidence I found it on Amazon:
      https://www.amazon.com/Times-Magazine-Black-Panthers-Partys/dp/B004S68H34
      I doubt you'll find ;it on sale any where else.

      Delete
  2. I need an issue dated December 15, 1975. How can I get one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Google the title and date to see what comes up. There's a slight chance that some online sellers might have a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need the issue which contains the interview with Bill and Emily Harris. I think it was published in early 1976? Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a pity you don't the exact date of the issue. Google 'old magazine sellers' and see if New Times is listed on any of them. Try ebay for 'New Times' .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ranger Don, you might be able to find the date of that issue by looking in the bibliography of "American Heiress" by Jeffrey Toobin. The author references that article. I assume you could also find it in the Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature. (I remember reading that interview. I subscribed to New Times when I was in college. Loved it.)

    ReplyDelete